No one likes to be sidelined by broken gear. Introducing Tech Tip Tuesday, where our resident gear tech, Kira Martinez gives you the tips you need to keep your gear in top condition. Or at least prevent it from rusting so badly that your chain is crying tears of neglect every time you pedal, like this bike:
And there's nothing that makes Kira more sad than neglect. So here are Kira's Tips:
- Store your bike somewhere dry, or take steps to protect metal components from the rain.
- If you live in a wet climate, or your bike will be exposed to wet conditions, regularly clean your chain and chain rings and apply a fresh coat of Wet Lubricant. Kira Suggests Finish Line Wet Lube:
- Never use WD-40 on your bike chain, it will attract dirt. Dirt can be abrasive and destroy components, or just gunk everything up so it doesn't work.
- If you live in a dry or dusty climate, you still need to watch for rust and take care of your chain. Finish Line Dry Lube is designed to prevent accumulation of dust on your chain.
- You don't need any expensive tools to maintain your chain, some old rags and a rejected toothbrush will get you through most of regular maintenance. So no excuses!
So there you go. Keep Kira happy, take care of your bike!